Troop Handbook‎ > ‎

Overnight Camp Outs

Troop 924 is a camping Troop. In addition to two weeks at summer camp, there are usually 8 overnight campouts every year, in September, October, November, January, February, March, April, and May (and sometimes June).

Scouts must sign up and pay for campouts no later than the Troop meeting two Mondays prior to the camp out. A form will be provided with all pertinent information several weeks prior to the camp out, and reminders provided in the Troop Newsletter.

For emergency purposes, permission slips and medical forms are required for Scouts before they are allowed to attend a camp out. Every Scout must have an up-to-date medical form on file in the Troop's records. This information is required by the BSA insurance regulations and will provide the necessary medical and contact information in the event of an injury during a Troop event. A current copy of the insurance card is also very helpful. In compliance with BSA regulations, this information is in a "Travel Book" that is carried in each car used for a campout or event.

Campouts leave from Northminster Presbyterian Church on Friday evening or early Saturday morning. Scouts must arrive on time – so the vehicles can be packed with personal and Troop gear and so the Troop may leave in a timely fashion. Scouts are expected to return to the Church following the campout to help with the unloading of the vehicles and returning the Troop equipment to the Troop room. The Troop usually returns to the Church on Sundays between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Scouts will not be dismissed until all Troop equipment is returned to the Troop room. Exceptions by the Scoutmaster require prior permission and Scouts will not be allowed more than one exception per year.

Transportation to and from campouts will be provided by parents or adult leaders. Drivers will be asked for details about their driver’s license, license plate, car make/model, seatbelt usage, and car insurance prior to the campouts so that the Troop may complete the travel/tour permits as required by the Boy Scouts of America. Drivers are required to have insurance of $50,000/$100,000 public liability and $50,000 property damage. Generally, drivers are not reimbursed for gas or mileage. They may submit all Boy Scouts-related mileage for "Volunteer Work" tax deductions on their annual IRS form. Extraordinary Troop expenses also will be considered for reimbursement, if requested.

Adult Leaders actively involved in an event or campout will attend for free (usually 2 or 3 per trip). Parents are strongly encouraged to attend campouts as “guests.” The Troop needs an average of one adult from each family to attend one campout each year to ensure having necessary adult supervision. At least two adults are required on all camp outs, and a minimum of one adult per 10 scouts. The Troop will try to provide the necessary equipment for parents to attend camp outs.